Monday, May 27, 2013

Some Yankees and Nationals Baseball Murals

I have been painting a lot lately!  The government furlough is going to have a big impact on our family's finances this year so I've been taking every painting job I can get.  This is also the reason I haven't had a lot of time for blogging.  I thought I'd take this opportunity to share with you one of the jobs I recently worked on...

I used a couple tips to paint the pinstripes:
Use a credit card to burnish the tape before you paint





  paint one coat of the background color and let it dry before you paint the stripe color.

  The stripes came out really crisp and there were only a few touchups for me to do!

I adore the family I worked for; they planned for me to paint as a surprise for their boys while they were all on a missions trip in Mexico.  Everyone in the family is a die-hard Yankees fan, except for the older son.  He loves the Washington Nationals.

He also had a baseball painted on his wall.  I have been wanting to paint a mural like this ever since I saw the inspiration here

This is how the wall I painted turned out.

It was so much fun to do!  I made a messy faux finish on the walls first with tan, off white and white paints
I just brushed each color onto the wall and then smushed them together with another brush.  This is what made the "leather" of the baseball finish look old, dirty and worn.

Then I drew in the line the stitching was to follow with some chalk.  I added detail from there with a light tan paint.


 I then followed those lines and painted the stitches in bright red, adding more detail as I went.

I love these rooms because I am confident the boys will enjoy them for years to come!  So often kids outgrow murals quickly.  We have a neighbor who has the Yankees logo painted in his garage, which goes to show some boys never outgrow sports murals!

What do you think?  Do you have a little (or big) boy in your life who'd love a baseball mural?

Thanks for stopping by!
Blesings,
Jamie

featured here
Liz Marie BlogSNAP! 
This post is linked here:  Today's Creative Blog Blue Cricket Design Kurtz Corner Mommy by Day Crafter by Night Cherished Bliss Lines Across My Face Southern Lovely Bear Rabbit Bear French Country Cottage Craft Junkie Too DIY Home Sweet Home Saved by Love Domestically Speaking Funky Junk Interiors Homemaker on a Dime Eisy Morgan The Answer is Chocolate Making the World Cuter Craft-O-Maniac lolly jane 504 Main I Heart Naptime Singing Three Little Birds mad in crafts House of Hepworths Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Keeping it Simple Be Different Act Normal Sew Can Do Sew Chatty Pinkapotamus The Girl Creative Flamingo Toes Tatertots and Jello Sisters of the Wild West Reasons to Skip the Housework Giggles Glitz and Glam Tip JunkieThe Trendy Treehouse Ladybug Blessings Night Owl Crafting Tea Rose Home My Girlish Whims Allie Makes Gluesticks Thrifty 101 Momnivores Dilemma A Little Knick Knack Miss Mustard Seed Freckled Laundry kojo designs A vision to remember Primitive and Proper 733 Rook no 17 Home Stories A to Z Naptime Crafters Whipperberry delightful order blissful and domestic elizabeth and co diy by design gingersnap crafts>my repurposed life

26 comments:

  1. WOW!!! That looks so fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That baseball mural is AMAZING!!! seriously love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good! Love the tips on painting crisp stripes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! I bet they loved it. You do beautiful work. XO, pinky

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK that is too cool! You did a fantastic job!!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so talented! The giant baseball is my favorite. Long ago, my boys were into baseball, now it's all lacrosse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That credit card trick with the painters tape is a genius idea! Your baseball stitches are AMAZING! You could market yourself out for baseball murals and make a very shiny penny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These walls are amazing! I can't wait to move out of my rental so I can do something like this for my boys! They would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job! We're grown up baseball fans and would love this for ourselves.

    Michelle @ On A Wing And A Prayer

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much fun! I used to do children's murals back in my faux finishing days. You do beautiful work, so talented. Dee from My Painted Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you really did a great job! It looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The baseball is so fantastic. I just did a baby boys room in baseball and football and this would have really made the room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the giant baseball mural! Awesome job :) Thank you for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That baseball mural is AMAZING!! I can't believe the detail you used. You are very talented!!! I would love for you to come and share this on our link party Much Ado About Monday!
    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/06/much-ado-about-monday-no-12.html

    Hope to see you there,
    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've (my sister and I) done some murals also but your baseball is UNBELIEVABLE!! Just love it. AND I'd love to have you share this at our party. Best wishes to you. Following on Facebook. Do you have Bloglovin and Google+? Linda

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/05/what-to-do-weekends-22.html

    Coming over from Mad Skills Party

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That is impressive! Sharing it on FB. Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is incredibly authentic!!!!!!!
    And wondering if you would be so gracious enough to share more details on how you achieved this baseball?
    I am a decorative painter however I have Never dne anything like this and a client of mine would like me to do this.....and quite honestly I have No Clue where to begin. Thank you thank you ever much!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Finding high quality Yankees art at local galleries is a much more difficult task than I ever expected.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible Job! I may paint that Baseball in my Bedroom behind my Wife's side of the Bed and surprise her one day !! Also, I learned that step on painting stripes yrs ago using the Background color first then painting the Stripes to get Perfect lines. It works Incredible.....Great Job !!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How far apart are your strips?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blog roll. I think it’ll improve the value of my site

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...